Steps to Take If You Are Involved in a Key West Boating Accident
Were you involved in a boating accident in Key West, FL? You need to speak to an attorney about your rights. If you were injured, you need to seek medical treatment immediately and report the incident to local law enforcement. There are several steps that need to be done to protect your interests.
At Garcia Law, we will help you understand the legal process after a boating accident in Key West or throughout South Florida. Our maritime attorneys are well-versed in a wide range of boating accidents and will provide the experienced representation you need and deserve. Contact our office today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
What to Do After a Key West Boating Accident
If you are involved in a boating accident in Key West, Florida, there are several steps you need to take to protect your rights. Failing to act quickly could negatively impact your case.
After a boating accident in Florida, you should:
- Check for injuries. The most important thing you can do after a boating accident is to check for injuries. You should never leave the scene of a boating accident if there are any injuries, fatalities, or property damage. Even in cases where there is only property damage, you may still be required to report the incident.
- Contact local law enforcement. Section 327.301 of the Florida Statutes requires that you report a boating accident that causes bodily injury, death, or the disappearance of a person without delay. This generally means within 48 hours. Additionally, if there is damage that exceeds $2,000, you must report the accident within ten days.
- Obtain witness contact information. If you are able, obtain the information for any eyewitnesses to the accident. They may be able to provide important insight into what caused the crash. Make sure that you have the information of any passengers on the vessel and speak to the owner or operator of the vessel about the accident.
- Seek medical attention. If you are injured in the accident, you need to seek medical attention. Even if you are not sure whether your injuries are serious, you should still be seen by a medical professional.
- Contact a boating accident attorney in Key West. Whether you were injured while on vacation or were the owner of the boat involved in the collision, you should speak to an attorney as early in the process as possible. An attorney can help determine how to move forward after the incident.
The days and weeks after a boating accident can feel overwhelming. You should not have to go it alone. An attorney can help provide you with the guidance and resources you need to make informed decisions about your case. Depending on the circumstances of the case, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, but you only have a limited amount of time to file a claim.
Injured in a Boating Accident in Key West? Contact Our Office.
Were you injured in a boating accident in Key West, FL? Contact our office to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. Our attorneys will help you understand your rights, including your right to compensation after an accident. We are here to help you and your family get the recovery you deserve.