Supporting Families Through Tough Times in South Florida
Family law matters can be extremely stressful. They generally involve conflicts between loved ones and emotionally charged issues. Things can quickly escalate and become contentious, moving parties further away from finding a resolution. In order to resolve these matters and to protect your interests, it is important to consult with an attorney.
At Garcia Law, we are committed to helping individuals involved in family law matters in Key West and throughout South Florida. We know that this may be a difficult time for you and your loved ones, which is why we handle matters with compassion and integrity. If you have a family law matter you need resolved, contact our office to schedule a confidential consultation.
Types of Family Law Matters We Handle
Family law cases can involve a wide range of matters between spouses, children, and other family members. Many times, they involve the dissolution of a marriage and issues related to the distribution of assets or the custody of children. If you are involved in any family law matter or are considering filing for divorce, you need to speak with an attorney.
Family law cases we handle:
- Divorce - In Florida, you do not have to prove fault to obtain a divorce or dissolution of marriage. You may file if your marriage is “irretrievably broken” and reconciliation is unlikely. Even uncontested divorces, however, can be tricky without the help of an attorney. It is usually in your best interest to consult with a family law attorney before filing for divorce to ensure that your interests are protected.
- Child custody - Child custody cases are some of the most hotly disputed family law matters. Each parent may think that they are acting in the best interest of their child, but it often leads to contention with the other parent. In child custody matters, you need an attorney you can trust to help you secure a favorable outcome in your case.
- Child Support - Whether you are filing for child support for the first time or need a modification of an existing child support order, we may be able to help. It is essential that you do not stop paying child support until a new order is in place. The court may find you in violation if you do not comply with the terms of the previous order.
- Paternity - In order to establish parental rights or obtain child support, you may need to prove paternity. Our office can walk you through the steps to help you prove paternity for your child support or child custody matter.
- Guardianship - In some instances, a child’s biological parents may be unfit or unable to act in the best interest of the child. The court may then allow a guardian to be appointed. At Garcia Law, we can help determine whether the court may grant guardianship based on the circumstances of the case.
Family law matters are never easy. While some parties may remain amicable, many do not. The frustration can quickly boil over, making it difficult to find a solution to the problem. A Key West family law attorney can provide you with the guidance and resources you need to make informed decisions about your case.
Should I Hire a Family Law Attorney?
In most cases, it is not required by law for a person to retain a family law attorney, but it is strongly recommended. When family law matters are decided, the orders have long-lasting implications for all involved parties. They may change your custodial rights or impact the assets that you will receive after your marriage is dissolved. An attorney can help ensure that your rights and assets are protected.
Things you should look for in a family law attorney:
- Trustworthiness - You want to work with a family law attorney in Key West that you can trust. One that you feel comfortable with and one that provides compassionate, ethical representation.
- Experience - Experience is often essential to a successful outcome in a case. Make sure that the family law attorney you retain has extensive experience practicing law.
- Local - It is more likely that a local attorney will know the courthouse where your case will be heard, the local rules, and the judge that may be handling your case. They will also strive to maintain their reputation since they regularly practice out of the area.
Without the help of an attorney, it may be challenging to make sure that the case is resolved in a favorable manner or at least in a way where your interests are fairly represented. Hiring a family law attorney can prove critical in many instances.
Contact Our Office to Learn More
If you are considering filing or have a pending family law case out of Key West or throughout South Florida, contact our office to schedule a confidential consultation. Our family law attorneys will help guide you through the legal process and work with you to find a resolution to your matter.