Legal Counsel For Accidents On The Water
Were you injured while on the water off of Key West, Florida? You need to speak with an experienced maritime attorney to determine your legal options. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
At Garcia Law, we know the deep impact that an accident on the water can have on a person and their loved ones. We work hard to ensure that our clients receive the financial recovery they deserve after an accident. Our maritime attorneys simply will not give up until you receive the best possible outcome in your case. Contact our office today to schedule a maritime accident case evaluation.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Maritime Accident
If you are involved in a maritime accident off the coast of Key West, Florida, you need to act fast to protect your rights. Depending on the case, you might be able to take legal action against the party that caused you harm.
If you are involved in a maritime accident, you need to:
- Report the incident. It is important to report any accident on the water to your employer if you are a crew member or to the operator of the vessel. If you are a cruise ship passenger, make sure to report the incident to the safety officer on board.
- Inform law enforcement. You may also need to file a report with law enforcement officers. It is important to understand which agencies have jurisdiction over the area where the accident occurred.
- Seek medical attention. If you suffered any injury during the maritime accident, you need to seek medical attention immediately. Any delay in treatment could affect your recovery.
- Consult with a maritime attorney. Once you are able to do so, it is strongly recommended that you speak with a maritime attorney about the accident. Under certain instances, you may be able to file a lawsuit or take other legal action.
When you are injured on the water, there may be a number of state and federal laws that apply. Working with an attorney can help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve after a maritime accident.
Types of Maritime Accidents
There are a number of types of maritime accidents. From recreational boating accidents to cruise ship incidents, any accident on the waters should be thoroughly investigated.
Types of maritime accidents:
- Collisions between vessels
- Fires and explosions
- Collisions with barriers or other objects
- Slip and fall accidents
- Cruise ship accidents
- Commercial fishing boat accidents
- Recreational boating accidents
- Cargo ship accidents
- Falling overboard accidents
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals
- Ship groundings
If you are involved in any maritime accident, you cannot afford to wait. You may only have a limited amount of time to take legal action against a liable party. If you do not act quickly, you could lose your right to obtain compensation for your damages.
Understanding Maritime Law
Maritime law encompasses a wide variety of claims. Several factors will determine what law applies. The best way to determine your legal options is by consulting with a maritime attorney in Key West. There may be state, federal, and international laws that could be applicable to your case.
Laws that may apply to your case:
- The Jones Act
- The Florida Statutes
- The Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act
- The Death on the High Seas Act (DOHSA)
It is essential to discuss your case in detail with an attorney who has extensive experience in maritime cases. The type of case will also dictate who can be held liable for your injuries, including the owner or operator of the vessel, the boat manufacturer, or another boater.
Common Causes of Maritime Accidents
Boating accidents and other maritime incidents may have multiple causes. In some cases, it may not be readily apparent who or what caused the accident. An attorney can conduct an independent investigation to determine what caused your injuries.
Common causes of maritime accidents in Key West:
- Inexperienced captain or crew
- Lack of a proper lookout
- Inclement weather
- Inadequate maintenance
- Lack of proper supervision or training
- Failure to secure cargo
- Boating under the influence
- Debris on the deck
- Inadequate safety measures
Whether you are a passenger on a commercial fishing vessel or a crewmember on a cruise ship, you may have legal recourse if you were injured on the water. Working with an experienced maritime accident attorney in Key West can help you understand your rights and responsibilities.
Injured on the Water in Key West? Contact Our Office.
Were you injured on the water in Key West? Contact our office to schedule a case consultation. Our office can help you determine if you have a valid claim for damages. There are no fees unless we win. Let our maritime accident attorneys help you and your family get the compensation you need to cover all of your accident-related losses.